Recent Why SERVPRO Posts
What is Water Restoration in Tecumseh, KS
Imagine you come home from work on a Wednesday afternoon and you walk into your living room covered with 8 inches of water.
What do you do?
Who do you call?
Do you call your family friend, a local contractor, or a Water Restoration Company?
What is the difference?
There are many differences between contractors and Water Restoration Companies.
Here are a few:
- A contractor’s job is to replace everything that is affected. This will include all flooring, walls, cabinets and even furniture. SERVPRO of East Topeka is certified in drying water damage to industry standards. We will not remove materials unless it is necessary. This prevents further interruption to your daily life.
- A contractor will have to replace all of the materials they took out of your home. This can take weeks waiting for material decisions, insurance approval, shipping, and installation time. SERVPRO’s average drying time is only 3 days. We have crews available 24/7/365 and someone to monitor your job daily.
- Replacing flooring, drywall, and all of your furniture is expensive. Restoring your home is a lot less expensive than replacing everything in your home.
When you call SERVPRO of East Topeka you can expect a First Responder on site within an hour and your home to be restored quickly by certified, professional technicians.
Sewage Cleanup and Restoration in East Topeka, KS
Sewage backup should be considered an emergency since the water may contain viruses, bacteria, and other microbes that cause serious illnesses. We have specialized training and equipment to quickly and safely clean contaminates like sewage.
Sewage is considered category 3: “Black Water”
Category 3 water is grossly contaminated and could cause severe illness or death if ingested and any contact should be avoided. Examples include flooding from rivers or streams, water from beyond the toilet trap, water from the toilet bowl with feces, or standing water that has begun to support microbial growth.
Exposure to biological and chemical contaminants can pose serious health consequences
A failure to properly remove such substances can contribute to unhealthy and dangerous environments. SERVPRO of East Topeka is trained to safely remove biohazards and dispose of them properly in accordance with OSHA and health regulations.
Equipped with the necessary safety apparatus and cleaning products, we can help transform these unhealthy environments back into clean, safe East Topeka homes and offices.
24 Hour Emergency Service
Water contaminated with sewage backup should be considered an emergency situation and dealt with as quickly as possible. We are available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. We are water damage restoration specialists with specialized training, equipment and protective gear to safely restore your East Topeka area home or business.
Toilet Overflow or Sewer Backup? Call SERVPRO of East Topeka Today 785-220-7147
Restoration VS Replace in East Topeka, KS
At SERVPRO of East Topeka we are in the business of restoration rather than replacement – this provides the benefits of not only lower costs but also a smaller ecological footprint. On a more personal level, restoration vs. replacement provides East Topeka homeowners with a peace of mind, in the event of a loss, that they will be able to make the most of any insurance payments they receive.
Why do we focus on restoration?
- We minimize the amount of building materials discarded into landfills.
- We preserve the original architecture of building structures.
- Restoration is much more cost-efficient than replacement.
- Many items cannot be replaced, such as important documents and family heirlooms.
In addition to preserving original structures and items, a drive towards restoration can better satisfy a complete return to normalcy when catastrophe occurs. Insurance policies often have limits that cap the amount of a claim – restoration allows for minimizing the costs of returning a structure to its pre loss condition.
SERVPRO of East Topeka works seamlessly with insurance companies nationwide, providing them with restoration budgets that not only meet their stringent guidelines, but provide the homeowner with the best possible outcome.
You have a choice when it comes to who to trust with your home after a fire or flood. Choose SERVPRO of East Topeka and let us help you make it “Like it never even happened.”
We can be reached 24/7 at 785-220-7147.
Berryton, KS Holiday Safety and Preparation
Lights, candles, action – it’s the holiday season again. Brightly lit decorations, elaborate meals and large gatherings are all part of traditional holiday celebrations. Unfortunately, these seasonal traditions also cause an average of 230 home fires each year, with an average of 4 deaths, 21 injuries and $17.3 million in property damage.
East Topeka Homeowners can keep their homes and their family’s safe during the holiday season by understanding the dangers and taking some simple, commonsense precautions.
Holiday Cooking Fire Facts
- Thanksgiving Day has three times the average number of reported home structure fires involving cooking equipment. The two other peak days for cooking-related fires are Christmas Day and Christmas Eve.
Holiday Cooking Safety Tips
- Supervise items on the stove top. Fifty-eight percent of kitchen fires involve ranges: homes with electric cooktops have a higher risk of fire than homes with gas cook tops.
- Keep flammable items – potholders, packaging, wrapping, wooden utensils, loose clothing – away from the stove top.
- Don’t let lack of sleep or alcohol consumption affect your ability to concentrate on preparing the meal.
Holiday Decorating Fire Facts
- Half of all holiday decoration fires start because the decoration is too close to a heat source.
- On average, 32 candle fires are reported each day. December is the peak month for candle fires.
Holiday Decorating Safety Tips
- Keep all decorations away from heat sources like radiators, portable heaters, and fireplaces.
- Use flameless candles.
- If you do use traditional candles, burn them in sturdy candle holders, well away from drapes and other flammable materials. Never leave them unattended and never allow them to burn down to less than once inch in length.
Christmas tree Fire Facts
- 50% of live tree fires occur between December 22 and January 5.
- 31% of tree fires are caused by electrical problems.
- 14% involve decorative lights.
Christmas tree Safety Tips
- Keep live trees well watered to reduce the chance of a fire.
- Check wiring on lights for breaks and wear, replace worn strings and don’t exceed manufacturer guidelines for connecting multiple strands of lights.
- Don’t leave tree lights plugged in when you are away from home or asleep.
For more fire prevention tips and information about fire and water damage restoration services, contact SERVPRO of East Topeka at 785-220-7147.
Statistics used are based on National Fire Protection Association data
Local East Topeka, KS Agent wins Signed Kansas City Chiefs Helmet
We like building relationships here at SERVPRO of East Topeka, especially relationships with our local insurance agents. We put on a raffle to win a signed Patrick Mahomes of the Kansas City Chiefs football helmet. We had over 275 entries at the time a name was pulled on November first. Our local State Farm Agent Jodi Stark had her name in the raffle several times and won the helmet. She was excited to receive the helmet and a glass display case to help show it off. We love being able to build and grow our relationships with our local agents like Jodi Stark. We hope you enjoy having the helmet displayed, Jodi! Congratulations! We look forward to doing an event like this again in the future for our local East Topeka agents.
SERVPRO of East Topeka is a Team you can Trust
Whether it’s your East Topeka home or office – we all need a little backup especially in an emergency! You never know what you’ll need. Lucky for you, we do! Floods, mold, fire damage or just regular cleaning; you have to have a company you can trust. And even more importantly – people you can count on 24/7. Look no further! You KNOW you can trust the professionals at SERVPRO of East Topeka!
Do you know why? Because the SERVPRO team is in the top ten franchises of 2016! Even better – according to Entrepreneur, SERVPRO is ranked #4 out of 500! WOW! And to top it all off we’re #1 in our industry – and we have been for the last ten years!
Want to know a little more about how we got our start? Believe it or not SERVPRO actually started in 1967 as a painting business. Two years later, the founders Ted and Doris Isaacson began franchising SERVPRO as a cleaning and restoration company. Then finally in 1988 they decided to make the move and left Sacramento, California to expand their business in Gallatin, Tennessee – all in order to be within 600 miles of 50% of the U.S. population.
Our team at SERVPRO of East Topeka specialize in disaster restoration, offering cleanup and repairs to both commercial and residential customers whose property has suffered fire or water damage. We also offer mold remediation, carpet and upholstery cleaning, air duct and HVAC cleaning and so much more!
We’ve been in the cleaning and restoration business for quite a while now– so we know what we’re doing. Let us be your backup– download our “Ready Plan” app and put our number on speed dial. In an emergency, you need a team you can trust– we’ve got your back!
What you should know about Sewage Cleanup in East Topeka, KS
Sewage is one of the most dangerous substances to enter East Topeka homes or buildings. It contains fungi, bacteria and viruses, many of which are disease-causing. Unfortunately, many people fail to understand the hazards that sewage presents, particularly for the very young or very old, or for those with compromised immune systems or respiratory problems.
The IICRC has compiled guidelines for professional sewage cleanup called the Standard for Water Damage Restoration (S500).
Here are the key principles you should know about sewage back-ups:
Sewage contains a variety of pathogenic- disease causing- fungi, bacteria, viruses and parasites. Anyone who works on sewage losses must have updated vaccinations, including one for Hepatitis B.
Sewage exposure is particularly dangerous for people with weakened immune systems, including anyone under two or over 60, those who are pregnant, ill, recovering from surgery, on prescription drugs or chemotherapy, or are AIDS victims.
It is not safe to stay in a East Topeka building that's flooded with sewage unless the contaminated area can be completely sealed off and placed under controlled air flow so that there will be no cross contamination of unaffected areas.
Highly absorbent sewage-saturated materials, such as carpet, pad, upholstery, bedding, wicker, paper, or even fabrics that can't be washed in hot water (130 F/54 C) for at least 10 minutes, must be contained and disposed of properly. This goes for sewage-saturated drywall, insulation and several other structural materials too. There's simply too great a health risk involved if any of these materials are dried in place and cleaned only.
Only the most highly trained professionals should attempt sewage remediation work. Then, a "third party" indoor environmental professional can provide post-remediation verification or "clearance testing" to ensure that the home or building is safe to re-occupy.
Special training and equipment is necessary to safely clean this type of contamination. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration. From initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO's Corporate Training Facility to regular IICRC industry certifications, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.
Sewage Backup or Toilet Overflow? Call us today- SERVPRO of East Topeka 785-220-7147
2021 Resolution- Plan Ahead in Tecumseh, KS
With each new year, many people resolve to better themselves or some part of their life. This year, make a resolution to be READY. No one ever plans on a disaster or a water or fire damage to strike, but you can prepare for it. The SERVPRO Emergency READY Profile (ERP) will help ensure your East Topeka business is “Ready for whatever happens” in 2020.
In the event of an emergency, the ERP can help minimize East Topeka business interruption by having an immediate plan of action in place for your facility. The ERP is a comprehensive document containing critical information about your East Topeka business, including emergency contacts, shut-off valve locations, and priority areas. The ERP also establishes your local SERVPRO franchise professional team as your disaster mitigation and restoration provider, giving you access to more than 50 years experience and a system of more than 1,700 franchises strong. The ERP is a no-cost assessment; all it requires is a little time, making it a great value that could save you time and money in the future. By downloading the free SERVPRO READY mobile app, this important information is stored electronically and can be accessed using your mobile device putting immediate help right at your fingertips.
Preparation is key to making it through any size disaster, whether it is a small water leak, a large fire, or an area flood. Having a plan in place may help minimize the amount of time your East Topeka business is inactive and get you back in your building faster following a disaster. Don’t wait until disaster strikes-resolve to be READY by contacting SERVPRO of East Topeka today to establish your Emergency READY Profile and be “Ready for whatever happens” in 2021.
Advantages of the SERVPRO ERP:
- A no-cost assessment of your facility.
- A concise profile document containing only the most critical information needed about your business and building structure in the event of an emergency.
- Provides facility details, such as shut-off valve locations, priority areas, and priority contact information.
- Identifies the chain of command for authorizing work to begin.
- A guide to help you get back into your building quickly following a disaster.
- Accessible electronically.
- Establishes your local SERVPRO franchise professional as your disaster mitigation and restoration provider.
We are Cleaning Experts in East Topeka, KS
During this unprecedented time caused by the global pandemic of coronavirus, this is a reminder to our East Topeka customers that we are specialists in cleaning services, and we adhere to the highest cleaning and sanitation standards.
Specialized Training- We are prepared to clean and disinfect your East Topeka home or business, according to protocols set forth by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. We have years of experience in dealing with biological contaminants, and we will go beyond the scope of work that regular janitorial staff perform on a daily basis.
The CDC encourages cleaning of high-touch surfaces such as counters, tabletops, doorknobs, light switches, bathroom fixtures, toilets, phones, keyboards, tablets and tables. Other spaces mentioned in the CDC’s guidance for commercial spaces include:
- Kitchen/Food Areas
- Retail Spaces
- Water Fountains
- Sales Counters
- Carpets and Rugs
- Stair Handrails
- Elevator Cars
- Playground Equipment
- Fitness Equipment
The CDC recommends usage of a labeled hospital-grade disinfectant with claims against similar pathogens to the coronavirus. Multiple products in the SERVPRO product line carry the EPA-approved emerging pathogens claims. While there is currently no product tested against this particular strain of the coronavirus, we are following all guidelines as provided by the CDC and local authorities.
Call Today for a Proactive Cleaning
If your home or business needs deep cleaning services, call the experts today – SERVPRO of East Topeka, 785-220-7147