Electrical Fires and your Richland, KS Business
According to the US Department of Energy, people use electricity to charge their cell phones and laptops, wash and dry their clothes, cook meals, brew their morning coffee and heat their East Topeka businesses. Electrical power keeps people connected and allows people to do what they need to do. Even though most Americans recognize the benefits that come with electrical power, they must also understand that there is a responsibility that needs to be taken seriously to avoid injury or possible disaster.
According to Electrical Safety Foundation International, more than 50,000 fires in the home are attributed to electrical fires. These have resulted in almost 500 deaths and more than 1,400 injuries. The damage that has been done has totaled more than $1.3 billion. Obviously, being careless with electrical power has very serious consequences.
The experts at SERVPRO of East Topeka recommend that individuals follow these safety measures in their business to reduce the risk of electrical fires:
- Inspect your business for loose wires, faulty wiring, and shorts. If there are any issues, contact a qualified electrician. Also, use safety covers on outlets to protect children.
- Make sure there are smoke detectors on each level of your East Topeka business. Test them each month to make sure they are working properly.
- If electrical equipment is making strange sounds or has a weird odor, turn them off. If there is water damage on your East Topeka property, make sure that an expert inspects all electrical appliances. Do not plug then in or turn them on until they are safe. When water has damaged electrical appliances, they can be very dangerous.
- Use safe cord practices. When cords are loose, frayed or cracked, repair them or replace them. Never place cords in high traffic areas, under rugs, or stapled to surfaces. Additional outlets can be installed by an electrician if necessary. Extension cords should only be utilized temporarily.
- Light bulb wattage should be correct for the appliance being used.
- During spring cleaning and while working near service meters or electrical lines, use caution. Consider hiring a professional to do the work if it is dangerous.
- Flammable items should be kept away from electrical appliances.
- Consider installing an arc fault circuit interrupter (AFCI) to reduce the chances of electrical fire in your East Topeka business.
- Avoid using electrical power tools outside after it has rained, or the area is wet. Never operate electrical equipment while barefoot.
- Do not allow children to climb trees near power lines. Reduce risk of electrical-related injuries by keeping balloons, kites, and other items away from overhead lines.
Prevention is the best method to keep your family and property safe. If you have experienced property damage because of fire, you can rely on SERVPRO of East Topeka.
It's the Water You Don't See in East Topeka, KS
Even small water damages have the potential to cause serious structural and indoor air quality issues over time. The key to avoiding costly future restoration is to handle every water problem as a real threat to your property. SERVPRO of East Topeka have the equipment, training and experience to find and dry unseen water before secondary damages occur. The proper equipment makes a measurable difference in reducing the damage expense during a fire or water loss.
SERVPRO of East Topeka will answer your call with fast action and a full arsenal of drying equipment. Here are a few tools the technicians will use on your job.
Moisture Sensors are used to detect moisture in carpets, baseboards and walls.
Moisture Meters are used to determine the actual moisture content of various materials. The moisture tester provides accurate readings, allowing SERVPRO of East Topeka to monitor the drying process.
Thermo hygrometers measure temperature and relative humidity. When armed with this information, SERVPRO of East Topeka can calculate and create an environment most efficient for drying. When facing a contaminated water loss, it is not only important to dry the structure, but the structure must also be disinfected and often deodorized.
Foggers: SERVPRO of East Topeka uses a few different foggers. Foggers are used for deodorizing, injecting fungicides and disinfectants for structures, garments, automobiles and other places where cleaning cannot be reached.
2021 Resolution- Plan Ahead in Tecumseh, KS
With each new year, many people resolve to better themselves or some part of their life. This year, make a resolution to be READY. No one ever plans on a disaster or a water or fire damage to strike, but you can prepare for it. The SERVPRO Emergency READY Profile (ERP) will help ensure your East Topeka business is “Ready for whatever happens” in 2020.
In the event of an emergency, the ERP can help minimize East Topeka business interruption by having an immediate plan of action in place for your facility. The ERP is a comprehensive document containing critical information about your East Topeka business, including emergency contacts, shut-off valve locations, and priority areas. The ERP also establishes your local SERVPRO franchise professional team as your disaster mitigation and restoration provider, giving you access to more than 50 years experience and a system of more than 1,700 franchises strong. The ERP is a no-cost assessment; all it requires is a little time, making it a great value that could save you time and money in the future. By downloading the free SERVPRO READY mobile app, this important information is stored electronically and can be accessed using your mobile device putting immediate help right at your fingertips.
Preparation is key to making it through any size disaster, whether it is a small water leak, a large fire, or an area flood. Having a plan in place may help minimize the amount of time your East Topeka business is inactive and get you back in your building faster following a disaster. Don’t wait until disaster strikes-resolve to be READY by contacting SERVPRO of East Topeka today to establish your Emergency READY Profile and be “Ready for whatever happens” in 2021.
Advantages of the SERVPRO ERP:
- A no-cost assessment of your facility.
- A concise profile document containing only the most critical information needed about your business and building structure in the event of an emergency.
- Provides facility details, such as shut-off valve locations, priority areas, and priority contact information.
- Identifies the chain of command for authorizing work to begin.
- A guide to help you get back into your building quickly following a disaster.
- Accessible electronically.
- Establishes your local SERVPRO franchise professional as your disaster mitigation and restoration provider.
Lightening in East Topeka, KS
Shocking Facts about Lightning
Lightning is one of the leading causes of weather-related fatalities. Though the odds of being struck by lightning in a given year are only around 1 in 500,000, some factors can put you at greater risk for being struck. Here are a few lighting safety tips.
Be aware. Check the forecast before participating in outdoor activities in East Topeka. If it calls for thunderstorms, postpone your trip or activity, or make sure adequate shelter is available.
Go indoors. Remember the phrase, "When the thunder roars, go indoors." Find a safe, enclosed shelter when you hear thunder. Safe East Topeka shelters include homes, offices, shopping centers, and hard-top vehicles with the windows rolled up.
Avoid windows, doors, porches, and concrete. Do not live on concrete floors and avoid leaning on concrete walls. Lightning can travel through any metal wires or bars in concrete walls or flooring.
Avoid water. Do not bathe, shower, wash dishes, or have any other contact with water during a thunderstorm because lightning can travel through a building's plumbing.
Having a Plan During a House Fire in East Topeka, KS
Does your family have a plan during a house fire?
Your kids’ safety is of utmost importance. You teach your children to look both ways before crossing the street and to stay away from strangers. But, as a parent and homeowner in East Topeka, do you educate your children on what to do in a home fire? When a fire emergency occurs, every second counts. Have a fire escape plan and practice it with your children. Review the tips below to educate your family.
Practice a Fire Escape Plan
Teach and practice the following techniques with your children during a non-emergency, so your family knows what to do in the case of a home fire:
- If the smoke alarm sounds at night, roll to the edge of the bed face down, place the closest hand to the floor and slide off the bed.
- Crawl to avoid smoke in the air on knees and forearms with head down, or crawl like a snake.
- Check doors before opening by feeling for heat. If hot, find another way out of the room. If warm or cool, open slowly and check for fire. Close doors as you go.
- Create and practice an escape route and agree on an outdoor meeting place. If trapped, go to the window, open it, climb out if possible or yell for help. Once out of the house, do not return inside for any reason.
Preventative Measures for Kids
Aside from teaching and practicing the above techniques, follow these kids’ safety tips:
- Maintain at least one functioning smoke detector at each level of your home. Teach your children that the alarm sound means there is fire and smoke in the house.
- Keep lighters and matches out of the reach of young children. Instruct older children not to play with these or other flammable objects, such as candles.
By teaching and practicing the above tips with your children in East Topeka, your family is prepared for a home fire. Once your kids’ safety is secured and the fire is out, contact a fire restoration specialist and your homeowner’s insurance agent to begin the process of returning your home to preloss condition.
Winter Weather Worries in East Topeka, KS
If you live where temperatures sink below freezing level, you are at risk for frozen pipes and ice dams, which can create major disasters at your home or property. Frozen pipes often occur when they are exposed to the cold weather, such as those outside your East Topeka house, or in cold areas such as basements, attics, garages, or kitchen cabinets. A frozen pipe can burst at the point where the ice blockage inside the pipe is located, but typically the rupture is caused by the backflow pressure between the water source and the blockage. Here are a few steps that you can take to prevent your pipes from freezing:
- Be sure to completely drain water from swimming pools and sprinkler lines, as well as outside hoses.
- Open kitchen cabinets to let warm air near the plumbing.
- When the weather is extremely cold, let water drip from faucets that may come from exposed pipes.
- Keep your heat set to the same temperature both day and night.
Ice dams can become a major problem during the snowy season. They form when heated air melts roof snow downward into water dammed behind still frozen ice. When the trapped water cannot safely flow or run into the gutter system, it can backflow under the roof’s shingles and into the structure’s interior areas, as well as causing gutters and shingles to move or fall. Icicles can be an indicator of an ice dam according to Travelers.com. To spot ice dams inside, “check for water stains or moisture in your attic or along the ceiling of exterior walls of your East Topeka house. Water stains or moisture may be an indication that an ice dam has formed and water has penetrated the roof membrane.” Removing the ice dam as soon as possible is vital to helping prevent damage to your property and can be done using heated cables, a roof shovel, or calcium chloride ice melter.
If winter weather causes water damage to you and your insured’s property, SERVPRO of East Topeka professionals are only a call away 24/7, ready to restore to pre loss condition.
50% of East Topeka, KS Business Never Reopen after a Natural Disaster
According to a major insurance company, one out of two East Topeka businesses never returns to the marketplace following a major disaster. Of those that do, half go bankrupt within three years. The businesses that survive plan their response to a disaster before it strikes.
And the property losses from hurricanes, floods, fires, and other disasters are staggering. Insured losses due to natural disaster in the United States in the first half of 2015 totaled $12.6 billion. That's according to a July 2015 presentation by Munich Re and the Insurance Information Institute.
Pre-planning can serve as a type of "insurance policy" that provides your East Topeka commercial business with peace of mind. And knowing you are "ready for whatever happens" builds trust among your clients and employees that in the event your business is affected by a disaster, they don't necessarily have to be.
Create a SERVPRO Emergency Ready Profile
By developing a SERVPRO Emergency Ready Profile for your commercial business, you minimize business interruption by having an immediate plan of action. Knowing what to do and what to expect in advance is the key to timely mitigation.
An Emergency Ready Profile can help minimize how water and fire damage can affect your East Topeka business. At no charge, here's what completing the profile provides for you:
A no cost assessment of your business facility- you pay nothing to have SERVPRO of East Topeka assess the storm-readiness of your commercial building.
A concise document with the critical information you need in an emergency- it takes less than 30 minutes to complete an Emergency Ready Profile. It won't take you away from current projects. But building your emergency plan will save a lot of time if a disaster strikes.
A guide to help you get back into your building following a disaster- you cut costs because the profile can help reduce the time your East Topeka business will be inactive. Most business owners don't realize that the biggest cost businesses hit by a natural disaster is not the cost of the cleanup or renovations. By far, the biggest cost is having to close your business down while the repairs are made. Many businesses lose tens of thousands of dollars for every day they are closed. We specialize in getting businesses back in business fast.
A firm relationship with SERVPRO of East Topeka as your disaster mitigation and restoration provider- you gain the assurance of having a local provider who is recognized as an industry leader, knows your needs, and will respond quickly in an emergency.
A faster path to mitigation by identifying your line of command for authorizing work to begin- you save valuable time when SERVPRO of East Topeka immediately knows we can begin work of mitigating the damage to your business. Your cleanup and restoration can happen in the most efficient and effective manner.
A detailed listing of critical facility information- you have in one place a reference for details like all shut-off valve locations, priority areas, and priority contact information. You gain a quick reference of what to do, how to do it, and who to call so you're "ready for whatever happens."
We're here to Help
The team at SERVPRO of East Topeka has specialized training and experience in virtually all aspects of cleaning up after damage caused by water, sewer, fire, smoke, wind, or other natural disasters. Create your own Emergency Ready Profile with us now. Preparation today could save you days of business interruption and help keep the cost of any damage from a disaster down.
The Science of Drying in Richland, KS
Did you know there is actually a science behind the process of drying? Having the knowledge of psychometrics is essential to restoring a water damaged structure to its pre loss condition. If your East Topeka business or home suffers a water damage, the team here at SERVPRO of East Topeka will:
- Inspect the building to detect every component that is wet to help prevent secondary damage from happening.
- Measure how much moisture is in wet materials and monitor whether the materials are drying properly.
- Speed up Mother Nature by using professional drying equipment.
What exactly does it mean to help “speed up Mother Nature”? A wet building can often dry naturally because the environment always seeks equilibrium. When materials are wet, moisture will naturally move to drier air at the surface of the material-but only if the air is drier. The only problem with nature is, nature often takes too long and secondary damages may occur while the building is drying out. SERVPRO of East Topeka has the professional training and equipment to help make water damage “Like it never even happened.”
We are Cleaning Experts in East Topeka, KS
During this unprecedented time caused by the global pandemic of coronavirus, this is a reminder to our East Topeka customers that we are specialists in cleaning services, and we adhere to the highest cleaning and sanitation standards.
Specialized Training- We are prepared to clean and disinfect your East Topeka home or business, according to protocols set forth by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. We have years of experience in dealing with biological contaminants, and we will go beyond the scope of work that regular janitorial staff perform on a daily basis.
The CDC encourages cleaning of high-touch surfaces such as counters, tabletops, doorknobs, light switches, bathroom fixtures, toilets, phones, keyboards, tablets and tables. Other spaces mentioned in the CDC’s guidance for commercial spaces include:
- Kitchen/Food Areas
- Retail Spaces
- Water Fountains
- Sales Counters
- Carpets and Rugs
- Stair Handrails
- Elevator Cars
- Playground Equipment
- Fitness Equipment
The CDC recommends usage of a labeled hospital-grade disinfectant with claims against similar pathogens to the coronavirus. Multiple products in the SERVPRO product line carry the EPA-approved emerging pathogens claims. While there is currently no product tested against this particular strain of the coronavirus, we are following all guidelines as provided by the CDC and local authorities.
Call Today for a Proactive Cleaning
If your home or business needs deep cleaning services, call the experts today – SERVPRO of East Topeka, 785-220-7147